Build Your Own Boat Competition
See if your boat building and maritime skills can withstand the Whitewater Center’s challenging rapids. Put your hand crafted vessels to the test down class II-IV rapids on the competition channel.
- Event Capacity: 60 boats
- Teams may consist of 1-4 people
- Participant Age Requirement: 16 years or older
- All boats must be human powered
- All boat materials must float
- Maximum Dimensions: 10′ wide x 10′ long x 5′ tall
- Rope sections may not be longer than 18 inches and must be tied securely against the structure
- No enclosures or compartments are permitted
- Boat Weight Limit: 150 lbs. maximum
- The following materials are prohibited:
- Metal objects.
- Sharp objects.
- Straps or devices that hold participants to the craft.
- Manufactured craft designed for whitewater (rafts, kayaks, duckies, river boards, SUP, inner tubes, etc.).
- Wood (plywood, boards etc.) over 1/4″ thick.
- Overall: Scored based on style and completion. Boats failing to complete the entire channel will not be eligible for the Overall Award.
- Boats that do not complete the competition channel are still eligible for the Style Award and the Fan’s Choice Award.
- Style: Boats will be ranked based on creativity, design and theme.
- Fan’s Choice: Based on crowd applause and reaction.
- Saturday, October 14, 2023
12:00pm-4:00pm BYOB Competition
- Friday, October 13, 2023
4:00pm-8:00pm Float Test at the River Center.
Overall- Boatload of Karen’s
Style- Wave Runner
Fan Favorite- Los Bomberos
Overall – Wave Digger
Overall Winner – ShipFaced
Style – Great Scotts!
Fan’s Choice – The Plumbers
2019 Brewery Results
Overall Brewery – Legal Remedy Brewing
Brewery Style – Suffolk Punch Brewing
Fan’s Choice – Suffolk Punch Brewing
Overall Winner – Owensby Boatworx
Style – Owensby Boatworx
Fan’s Choice – The Pip Heads
Brewery Edition – Hyde Brewing
Overall Winner – Brother’s Boenisch
Style – The Beatles
Fan’s Choice – The Jenny
- Waiver Policy
- All participants must sign the Whitewater Center Assumption of Risk Agreement before participating.
- Waiver may be printed and brought to packet pick-up or completed on site.
- The waiver is not included in the online registration form.
- Refund and Transfer Policy
- Race Registration is non-refundable.
- Trail Safety
- Trails will be open to other runners, hikers and bikers at all times.
- Communicate when passing other trail users.
- No E-bikes or any form of powered transportation are permitted in any Whitewater Race Series events.
- Weather Policy
- Events are scheduled to proceed rain or shine.
- The Whitewater Center reserves the right to alter/reschedule/cancel any Whitewater Race Series event at any time.
- Parking Policy
- The Whitewater Center has a $6 daily parking fee. Annual parking passes are available for $60.
- Emergency Policy
- The Whitewater Center does not conduct trail rescues.
- Participants must call 911 if emergency services are needed.
- Emergency location markers are located within the trail system.